Weight: 185 Grams
The device contains the following sensors:
- LIS2DE12 (accelerometer)
- SPS30 (particle sensor)
- SHT31 (temperature and humidity sensor)
- UBLOX M8Q (GNSS module)
- HALL effect sensor (magnet activation)
Voltage of the super capacitor¶
The AIR doesn't use a traditional battery, instead we use a super capacitor.
A few benefits of using a super capacitor are
- Higher amount of recharge cycles
- Longer lifetime
- Bigger operational temperature range
- Built material have less environmental impact
A downside is that the voltage is more linear and therefor it's harder to tell when the device should be charged based on the voltage.
The AIR is fully charged at 3.3V, should be recharged around 3.15V and is completely empty around 2.8V.
Device health check¶
Check on the SODAQ AIR - Status Page to see the status and some solutions if your AIR has any problems.
- Disconnect the mount for one minute to reboot the modem. (Modem reset)
- Reset via the reset pin, see image below. (Full reset)
A full reboot can take up to 6 minutes and 40 seconds.
During the full reboot the device will perform a self-check.
When the self-check is complete the LED will pulsate blue when the device is working properly. It will pulsate orange when there might be an issue, to pass the self-check the mount needs to be attached.
Updating your device¶
- The update will be triggered when the usb charger is (re-) connected.
We recommend to wait one minute before reconnecting the charger.
- The update will be triggered after a full reset via the reset pin.
- The AIR needs to have a super capacitor with high charge to start the update process.
- The AIR will update with or without connected to a magnet mount.
- The AIR makes a connection to the update server when showing a white LED.
- You can check if the update was successful on the health check page.
After a successful update the AIR needs to send a message with new data to update the health check page data.
These versions are released to the hardware of the SODAQ AIR.
The AIR will automatically update to the latest version.
v0.4.8 - Initial public release
v0.5.0 - GPS and Connection improvements
- Release date: 07-02-2023
- Improved the boot-up of a device when connected to a magnet mount.
- Turn off the modem when device is disconnected from a magnet mount. This will prevent blocked cell towers.
- Improved GPS lookups for when a device is in static mode.
- Added error detection with automatic reset. When a device detects a problem for a certain time it will reboot.
v1.0.0 - Sensor improvements
- Release date: 20-04-2023
- PM sensor reading improvements.
- Do a GPS fix when the last fix was older then 24 hours.
- Added standard deviation values to the payload for PM values.
- Connect to update server on every type of full device reboot.
Q: Why is my AIR not visible on the map?¶
A: Is your AIR in the magnet holder?
It required a AIR holder with a magnet to turn on the AIR.
A: Is your AIR turned on outdoors?
Indoors the AIR cannot find a GPS position and therefor it cannot plot your data on the map.
A: Disconnect the mount for 5 minutes.
This will turn off the sensors, after 5 minutes reconnect the mount to turn the AIR back on.
A: Reset via the reset pin
Go to reset instructions
Q: Can I open the AIR to look inside?¶
A: No, when opening the AIR the waterproof seal might damage.
Q: I bought my AIR with connectivity but why is the SIM tray empty?¶
A: The SODAQ AIR will be delivered with a SIM chip, therefor the SIM tray is empty.
Q: Can I use a longer charge cable?¶
A: We tested the cables which we put in the SODAQ AIR box. You can use other/longer usb-c cables, most of them should work since the AIR's don't require a lot of power. But we don't guarantee anything.
Q: How much power does the AIR consume in static mode?¶
A: We measured and calculated the following energy usage for v0.5.0
The AIR uses 30 uA in sleep.
Every message costs an average of 200 mA measured over 1 minute.
There are 12 messages per hour.
200 / 60 * 12 = 40 mAh
0,03 / 60 * 48 = 0,024 mAh
There are 24 hours in a day and 365 days in a year.
40,024 * 24 * 365 = 350.610,24 mAh per year.
350.610,24 is equal to 0,35 kWh every year.
The usage is measured on the AIR itself, depending on the cable and used charger the power consumption can be slightly higher for the total setup.
When the AIR is connected to a charger the super capacitor is being charged, during this period you will see a higher power consumption.